I live and work on the Isle of Skye, in the North West of Scotland. I have always preferred wilder more challenging landscapes and seascapes. The visible presence of the rock beneath the thin soils of the Highlands reminds me of the real substance of life, and how fragile the veneer. The textures of my work are here on a massive scale in the mountains, and it’s fundamentally the same material. So here, on the Isle of Skye, inspiration is all around me, under my feet and in my hands.
My motivation as an artist is to find my place in this.
These collections, Contour, Erosion and Midden, are distinct but connected, and are a continuation of my love of texture. I make mostly ceramic forms, bowls, jars, boxes, rather than direct representations of the landscape, because they are innately human vessels; they represent the human condition of surface and contents…
Upcoming Events & Exhibitions
11/06/2021 - 13/06/2021
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Potfest Scotland 2021
Now in its 25th year, Potfest Scotland 2021 is set on the lawns of Scone Palace on the outskirts of Perth. Here you can meet and buy directly from the artists at Scotland’s only major studio ceramics event. Spread across four large marquees on the Palace lawns, over 80 studio ceramics artists are taking part.
June 11th, 12th & 13th, 2021
(Please be aware that many of the exhibitors are unable to process credit card transactions, and the nearest cash machines are two miles away in Perth.)
Because of the continued uncertainty of Covid19 all of this year’s shows will run with the same precautions in place as last year. When stepping under the canvas of the marquees visitors will be asked to please put on a face covering, observe social distancing where possible and be patient, kind and considerate to other visitors. Please remember their fears and anxieties may not mirror your own.
Keeping everyone safe, reassuring visitors and making sure everybody enjoys their day at Potfest Scotland 2021, is the utmost priority.
– Tickets are for sale online from May, for those that want to limit their social contact and cash transactions. We will of course still be offering cash entry at the gate, on the day.
– We’re asking visitors to be mindful of others personal space and adhere to 1m + social distancing.
– there are a reduced the number of exhibitors in each marquee and we have brought them out from the middle of the tents so that it’s possible to view their work without even entering the covered areas (the sides of the marquees will be open as usual).
– We have provided exhibitors with PPE and offered advice on best practice procedures.
– There will be several large hand sanitiser stations around the site.
– We ask visitors to please wear a mask when they are interacting with those outside of their social bubble.
– There will be extra toilet facilities this year so that units can be closed and cleaned on rotation.
– There will be a facility in place for Track & Trace.
Whilst we are in trying times, we want this years event to be as relaxed and enjoyable as usual. As someone said (several months ago) “we’re all in this together.” So as long as we adhere to the measures in place, appreciate and consider others concerns and anxieties we should be.
23/07/2021 - 25/07/2021
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Potfest in the Park 2021
Potfest in the Park 2021 takes place in the beautiful grounds of Hutton-in-the-Forest. With over 100 exhibitors on the edge of the Lake District National Park, the show brings together the best of ceramics from across the globe – leading artists with distinctive styles.
The ceramics festival takes place in and around several large marquees on the park land in front of this magnificent country house. The potters special competition pieces being displayed on the lawn, juxtaposing ancient architecture and modern ceramics.
As well as hosting Potfest in the Park 2021, Hutton-in-the-Forest is a cultural destination in itself. With its historic house, walled garden, topiary terraces and woodland walks it makes a great day out.
Last years competition theme was: Recycle, rebuild, repurpose.
The theme for all of the 2021 Potfest events is: Time & Reflection
Please be aware that many of the exhibitors are unable to process credit card transactions, and the nearest cash machines are six miles away in Penrith.
26/08/2021 - 18/09/2021
12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Contemporary Ceramics Centre, London
26th August – 18th September
I am delighted to be showing my work at Contemporary Ceramics Centre in a two person show with Sarah Jenkins. We both work with muted palettes to produce ceramics of very different styles but both deeply connected to the landscapes around us.
More information to follow.
Contemporary Ceramics Centre, 63 Great Russell Street, Holborn United Kingdom,